The basil vinegar is delicious added to salads, salad dressings, and marinades.
Fill a sterilized jar ¾ full with basil and cover with your choice of vinegar. Cap and let the flavor infuse for 3-4 weeks. Strain the vinegar and use as needed. The flavor will last for over a year.
If you want an attractive pink vinegar, combine a white vinegar with the Opal Basil. Makes a nice gift!
Japanese Cucumber Salad
- 4 Kirby cucumbers or 2 large cucumbers
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup white rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon white or black sesame seeds, or a mixture of both
- Cut the cucumbers into paper-thin slices. In a large bowl, toss the cucumber slices with the salt (this draws out excess water). Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together the rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
- Drain the cucumber slices in a colander and gently squeeze them with your hands to squeeze out excess water. Return the slices to the large bowl and toss with the rice vinegar mixture. Transfer the cucumber to a serving dish. Serve at room temperature with sushi, noodles, stir-fries, etc.