Tulsi, Mint and Lemon Verbena Tea Recipe
Take the leaves of any mint, a couple of sprigs of lemon verbena or lemon balm, and a long flower or a few leaves of Tulsi.
Place them all in a teapot. Bring water to the boil and pour over the herbs.
Fairy Tale Eggplant and Mediterranean Quinoa Salad with Spiced Yogurt
½ cup plain yogurt (I use low-fat or whole milk yogurt)
1 clove garlic, mashed
½ teaspoon lemon juice
⅛ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
pinch of cayenne to taste
pinch of cumin to taste
½ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well
2 cucumbers, halved lengthwise and chopped
1 cup cherry or mini heirloom tomatoes, halved
2 green onions, sliced, including some of the green
¼ cup chopped parsley
1 can (1½ cups) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
crumbled feta, to taste
Fairy Tale Eggplant
¾ pound fairy tale eggplant, halved
1½ tablespoons olive oil
salt to taste
- Combine all the ingredients for the spiced yogurt and mix well. Add seasonings as desired (I usually add up to ⅛ teaspoon each of cumin and cayenne pepper). Set aside in the fridge.
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions and let cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables for the quinoa salad. Combine the cooled quinoa, cucumbers, tomatoes, green onions, parsley, and chickpeas.
- Make the dressing by whisking together the lemon juice, olive oil, and salt. Add the dressing to the salad and toss well.
- Add the olive oil to a medium-large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fairy tale eggplants, cut side down. Cook 3-5 minutes, or until the eggplants begins to brown. Flip the eggplants and continue to cook for another 3-5 minutes, or until the eggplant are tender.
- On each plate, arrange the quinoa salad, desired amount of eggplant, and sprinkle with crumbled feta and drizzle with spiced yogurt. Serve immediately.
- If you anticipate having leftovers, leave the lemon and olive oil dressing for the quinoa on the side and toss it right before serving (otherwise the cucumbers will wilt).
Zucchini Lasagna Recipe
2 medium – zucchini
1 pound – beef, ground, 95% lean
1/2 medium – onion
1/2 medium – bell pepper, red
2 medium – carrot
3 clove – garlic
15 ounce – tomato sauce
1 tablespoon – Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon – oregano, dried
1 teaspoon – basil, dried
1/8 teaspoon – salt
1/8 teaspoon – black pepper, ground
2 cup – cottage cheese, lowfat
1 large – egg
1/4 cup – Parmesan cheese, grated
2 cup – mozzarella cheese, shredded
OPTIONAL: 1/4 cup chopped – parsley, fresh
- Wash and cut zucchini into very thin strips. Line a colander with paper towels and place it in the sin
k. Place zucchini into the colander and salt generously. Allow zucchini strips to sweat for 30 minutes.
- Dice onion and red bell pepper (enough for 1/2 cup), grate carrots (enough for 1/2 cup), and mince garlic.
- Preheat oven to 350* F and grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef until cooked completely, making sure to chop into small pieces as you go. Remove beef onto a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
2 cup – cottage cheese, low-fat fat from the skillet, place back on the stove, and sauté the onion, pepper, carrot, and garlic until the onion is translucent.
- Add tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, spices, and the cooked ground beef back into the skillet. Bring to a simmer, and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix cottage cheese, egg, and parmesan in a small bowl.
- Once the zucchini have sweat for 30 minutes, wipe clean and dry with a clean cloth. Place one layer of zucchini strips on the bottom of the greased pan.
- On top of the zucchini, spread half of the tomato-beef sauce. Then spread a layer of half of the cottage cheese mixture. Then sprinkle half of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers once more: zucchini, sauce, cottage cheese, mozzarella.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes at 350* F, then turn the oven to broil and crack the oven door. Allow the top of the lasagna to bubble and brown, watching carefully. Should take 2 minutes or less.
- Remove from the oven and allow to set for 20-30 minutes before serving.