Squash and Dark Green Stir Fry
- 2 tablespoons butter (substitute: margarine, olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 squash (any), peeled, seeded and diced (the smaller the quicker they cook)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chile powder (more to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch dark greens, leaves torn, stalks discarded
Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter and the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the squash and sprinkle with the salt, chile powder and pepper. Cook for several minutes, turning gently with a spatula, until the squash is deep golden brown and tender (but not falling apart). Remove to a plate and set aside.
In the same skillet, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat and add in the greens. Toss it around with tongs and cook it for 3 to 4 minutes. Add in the cooked squash and gently toss together.
Roasted Butternut Squash Halves with Thyme Honey Butter
- 1 medium butternut squash halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 Tbsp softened butter (substitute: salted oil, or margarine)
- 1 Tbsp honey (optional) (Substitute: maple syrup, brown sugar, or agave)
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves (optional) (Conversion: 1 Tbsp of fresh = - 1 tsp of dry)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (optional for easy clean up).
Combine the butter, honey, thyme, salt, and pepper in a small bowl to form a spread. Spread the butter mixture evenly over the exposed flesh of the squash. I like to use my hands for this, but you can use a spatula if you prefer.
Place squash flesh side up on a baking sheet and roast for 45-60 minutes, or until flesh is soft enough to remove from the skin with a fork.
Serve warm as is or scrape the squash from the skin and mash. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste or more honey butter and thyme if you'd like.
Note: Microwave instructions: You can do this same thing in the microwave. Follow all directions as above but put the squash in a glass container (e.g. Pyrex) with a lid on tight (or covered), with a loose corner or holes for the steam to get out. Put a little water at the bottom (~½ cup), and either put it on the potato setting on your microwave or 7-11 minutes (7 minutes per 7-8 oz ~ 1 cup).
Curried Squash Soup
Total Time: 30 minutes
Freezer Friendly: 1 month
Does keep for: 3-4 Days
1 Tbsp coconut or avocado oil
2 medium shallots (thinly diced) (½ medium onion)
2 cloves garlic, minced (2 cloves yield ~1 Tbsp or 6 g)
6 cups peeled & chopped squash (1 small butternut squash yields ~ 6 cups) (don’t peal black futsu’s)
1 pinch each sea salt + black pepper (plus more to taste)